Предлоги в контексте - Алёша vs Владимир
1. The Japanese macaque is an endangered monkey. It inhabits an area farther north than any other primate except — humans. The Japanese call this animal the snow monkey because it can be found — the snowy regions — Japan. Ironically, some troops — macaques have been relocated — Texas to ensure their survival.
2. Originally, robots were found only — science fiction movies and books. Today, they have become science fact as technology has turned them — a feasible means — increasing productivity. The robot industries may still be — their infancy, but their products are no longer being ridiculed as an impossibility.
3. — nine o'clock — the morning, the streets are lined — people. Somewhere — the distance, a band is heard playing a marching song. Shopkeepers are locking their doors and joining — the crowds. Everyone is craning their necks to see how long it will be before the first float reaches — them.
4. Parsley, a good source — iron and vitamins A, C, and E, is a common herb — the Mediterranean area. The ancient Greeks considered it sacred and therefore did not eat it. The Romans served it as a garnish and to improve the taste — food.
5. — thousands — years, desert dwellers have sheltered themselves — extremely functional buildings constructed — one — the most readily available, dependable, and inexpensive materials we know — . This ideal insulator, which absorbs heat — the day and slowly releases it — night, is mud.
6. — World War II, Hay-on-Wye was a bustling little market town — the border — Wales and England. However, it became a dying town when Welsh agriculture declined, forcing many farmers — their land and to factory jobs — England. Today, Hay is flourishing again because — a flamboyant gentleman who has turned the town — the world's largest secondhand bookstore.
7. Because — winning or losing a race — skiing can be a matter — a hundredth — a second, skiing equipment has undergone many changes. Even clothing has changed as skiers search — ways to increase speed. Now they wear one-piece suits that cling — their bodies — order to reduce wind resistance. Nothing is worn — these tight-fitting suits as anything extra may mean the loss — an important millisecond.
8. Addiction — cigarette smoking is basically an addiction — nicotine. Those who are attempting to overcome their addiction — nicotine have found the most common cures ineffective. Switching — low-nicotine cigarettes simply causes problem smokers to smoke more. Zero-nicotine cigarettes are usually rejected because they don't satisfy the smoker's need — nicotine. Perhaps the most effective aid — those who want to stop smoking is chewing a recently developed gum which contains nicotine.
9. Rice is the only major grain crop that is grown almost exclusively as human food. There have been a series — remarkable genetic advances that have made it possible to cultivate high-yield varieties that are resistant to disease and insect pests. Because — rice constitutes half the diet — 1.6 billion people, and another 400 million people rely — it — between one-fourth and one-half — their diet, these advances have deterred disasters which otherwise would have left millions — people severely underfed.
10. While living — Germany — her family, Caroline Herschel was not allowed to learn anything other than useful household skills such as knitting. However, all this changed — 1772, when her astronomer brother, William, took her to live — him — England. He taught her mathematics, and she began to help him keep a record — his discoveries. The two — them would —ten stay up — dawn, gazing upward. Eventually, they built their own telescopes, which were even bigger and better than those — the Royal Observatory — Greenwich.
11. Christmas Island, discovered — Captain James Cook — Christmas Eve — 1777, was once populated — a wide variety — bird species. — recent years, — least 18 species — birds - a total — 17 million birds - have either left or perished — the island. It is suspected that the cause — the disappearance may be related to a cyclical weather phenomenon — the Pacific that alters wind patterns, salinity, and ocean currents. These conditions have resulted — higher water temperatures which may have killed the fish and squid that the birds live — .
По цепочке заполните пропуски подходящими по смыслу предлогами.